Author: admin

Dominican magistrates to attend conference in St. Kitts

Dominican magistrates to attend conference in St. Kitts

first_img Sharing is caring! 6 Views   no discussions Share Share LocalNews Dominican magistrates to attend conference in St. Kitts by: – April 23, 2012center_img Tweet Share Court gavel. Photo credit: lazytechguys.comDominican magistrates will be given an opportunity to sharpen their knowledge at a gender equality conference in St Kitts from Tuesday 24th April, 2012.Chief Magistrate Evelina Baptiste explained that the conference which is an annual event will focus mainly on “gender equality and the law”.She hopes that the conference will “broaden the knowledge of magistrates as it relates to international and domestic law and gender equality”. Baptiste said arrangements have been made to deal with any urgent matter which may arise in the absence of the magistrates.“Usually our matters have to be adjourned and I am sure the public will understand how necessary it is for us to have continuing education. Knowledge has gotten so much so far that it is important for us to have continuing education. And there has not been a crisis in relation to our being out of the jurisdiction”.There will also be a training session on the electronic technologies for the Court.The magistrates will leave the state today to attend that conference.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

McEnroe, Navratilova sorry for rules breach after Margaret Court protest

McEnroe, Navratilova sorry for rules breach after Margaret Court protest

first_img Read Also: Champion’s mindset propels Halep into Aussie Open semi-finals But that has been overshadowed by past controversies such as praising South Africa’s apartheid system, saying “tennis is full of lesbians” and describing transgender children as “the work of the devil”. McEnroe ridiculed Court as a “crazy aunt” this week, calling her comments “offensive and homophobic”, while Navratilova said her views were “actually hurting people”. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 “In this case, I was not aware of the Tennis Australia rules and protocol for issuing credentials. For that I apologise to Tennis Australia and recognise and appreciate the great job they have done to make the Australian Open a great event for the fans, players and myself.” Court, a record 24-time Grand Slam champion, has been honoured this week at the Australian Open for the 50th anniversary of her calendar-year Grand Slam. Promoted ContentBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty Penny2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearA Guy Turns Gray Walls And Simple Bricks Into Works Of ArtTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All TimeWhat Is A Black Hole In Simple Terms?Couples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?Top 10 Most Iconic Characters On TV8 Weird Facts About Coffee That Will Surprise You Loading… Tennis legends John McEnroe and Martina Navratilova apologised on Wednesday for breaking Australian Open protocols after their on-court protest targeting controversial Australian great Margaret Court. Australian great Margaret Court received a replica trophy this week The two Americans said sorry after unfurling a banner calling for a stadium named after Court – criticised over her deeply conservative views – to be renamed ‘Evonne Goolagong Arena’ after the three-time Australian Open winner. But they did not row back on their demand concerning Margaret Court Arena. “I got in trouble, I am sorry I broke protocol,” Navratilova said on the Tennis Channel. “I had no idea there was this kind of protocol. “Had I known, I would have done it differently. I would have still tried to make my statement, which is that you name buildings after not what people did on the court, but also off the court, the whole body of work.” McEnroe, who like Navratilova is doing media work and playing veterans’ doubles at the Australian Open, also said he wasn’t aware of the rules governing credential-holders. “Admittedly I was never one to study the rule book carefully or, for that matter, even at times abide by the rules,” McEnroe said in a statement, according to ESPN.last_img read more

VENDORS’ WISH: SIDEWALK RETURN

VENDORS’ WISH: SIDEWALK RETURN

first_imgILOILO City – Vendors wish the citygovernment would allow them to return to the sidewalks this holiday season evenfor just a few days. To this Mayor Jerry Treñas said, “I don’t know how it canbe done.” The vendors hope the city government wouldmake a favorable decision soon so they could set up their sidewalk kiosks onDec. 14 or 15 ahead of the Dec. 16 start of the nine-day traditional misa de gallo or early morning massleading to Christmas Day (Dec. 25). Dichupa said they would respectwhatever decision the city government would come up. “Kondiri lang asahan mo, ang sa front lang gid guro ang ayo-ayo benta. Pero sangsa likod pigado,” said Dichupa. PSTMO led the road and sidewalkclearing operations that displaced the vendors. Conlu, however, rejected thisexplanation, pointing out that buyers already knew where to look for vendors. Cacho also promised to further improvethe area to ensure the comfort of the vendors and customers. According to the mayor, the directorof the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) in this city showedhim a new memorandum stating that road and sidewalk clearing operations shouldextend to the barangays and not just in the downtown area. According to Dichupa, their return tothe sidewalks even for a limited number of days only would be a big helpalready to boost their income this holiday season. After one year, according to the citygovernment’s Public Safety and Transportation Management Office (PSTMO) headJeck Conlu, the Cachos and vendors would discuss the rental rate. “It would be unfair to those who movedto the Cacho property if other vendors are allowed to return to the sidewalks,”said Conlu.  “Sa mga sidewalk vendors, sundon ta lang ang mga programa nga ginapa-implementsa aton.” The vendors were spotted on thesidewalks of Ledesma, JM Basa, Rizal, and Jalandoni streets. They told thePSTMO business was sluggish at the Cacho property. “Anhonmo na kay nagasandig man lang si mayor sang order sa babaw,” he said. The skills training is for foodprocessing, dressmaking, massage therapy, welding, masonry, and carpentry,among others./PNcenter_img The city government has been clearingroads and sidewalks of obstructions since July following President RodrigoDuterte’s order for local chief executives to reclaim public spaces being usedfor private ends. In an effort to ease the burden of thedislocated vendors, a member of the Cacho family, Marcelo Cacho who is theadministrative manager of Panay Electric Co., announced in October that the vendorswould be required to pay rent for a year. Business is sluggish at the2,700-square meter wide Cacho property, he lamented. “Para at least may dal-on man angamon mga miembro sa ila mga panimalay sa Christmas,” he said. Treñas said he would convey to theDILG the vendors’ wish but stressed, “I don’t know how it can be allowed underthe circumstances,” referring to the new memo that in fact expanded theroad-clearing drive. “We left them with a warning. If theyreturn to the sidewalks again we will seize everything they have,” said PSTMOchief Jeck Conlu. Last month, 13 vendors were arrestedfor returning to sidewalks. PSTMO personnel also confiscated their tables andchairs. Their merchandize, however, were spared. But they remain hopeful and would seekan audience with Treñas before the week is over. “Ginapangamuyoko lang nga hatagan kami ni Mayor sang gamay nga Consuelo,” said Dichupa. This has resulted to the relocation of245 downtown sidewalk vendors to the vacant lot owned by the Cacho family alongthe downtown street of JM Basa, said Niel Dichupa, president of the Federationof Sidewalk Vendors Association in Iloilo City. But there are anestimated 1,500 sidewalk vendors across the city. Treñas previously told the vendors toexplore other livelihood sources and avail themselves of livelihood and skillstraining offered by the city government’s Public Employment Service Office inpartnership with Technical Education and Skills Development Authority. “But I will confer with the DILG justthe same,” said Treñas.last_img read more

Woman nabbed over ‘drugs’

Woman nabbed over ‘drugs’

first_imgBACOLOD City – Policearrested a woman facing illegal drug charges in Barangay 2, Kabankalan City,Negros Occidental. She wasidentified as 39-year Rosalie Astrologo, Negros Occidental, a police reportshowed. Officers of theKabankalan City police station served the warrant issued by Judge RodneyMagbanua of the Regional Trial Court Branch 61 dated Nov. 12, 2019. The courtrecommended a P200,000 bail bond for Astrologo’s temporary liberty./PNcenter_img The suspect wasdetained. Astrologo –resident of Barangay Bacuyangan, Hinobaan – was caught on the strength of anarrest warrant around 1:25 p.m. Jan. 10, it added. last_img read more

Enrollment for new school year begins today

Enrollment for new school year begins today

first_imgAn estimated two million learners in the region from preschool to senior high school are expected to enroll for the new school year, said Belleza, pointing out that DepEd Region 6 started pre-enrollment in February and March. * online class – but only possible if students have the needed gadgets such as laptop or desktop computer, cellphone, and strong internet connection For distance learning, DepEd-6 has three strategies. These are the following: * radio- or television-based instruction Today is also the start of the teachers’ rendering of service for the new school year, said Belleza. Belleza said t is up to schools to determine which teaching strategies would be suitable for their students. Teachers, however, need not be physically present in schools. They can work from home, she stressed. She also did not discount the possibility of homeschooling; the students just stay at home and their parents would teach them based on the curriculum and learning materials set by the school. DepEd-6 is exploring the possibility of combining the above-mentioned modalities for a “blended” learning experience of students, said Belleza. ILOILO City – The 30-day enrollment period for school year 2020-2021 begins today. They have the option to enroll online via email and through social media applications such as Facebook and Viber, among other internet-based communications applications, said Belleza. Physical distancing and the wearing of facemask would be required, said Belleza, and hand-washing stations would be made available in schools. Also, she said, it is ultimately up to the parents to decide if they want to enroll their children to school or not./PNcenter_img According to Department of Education (DepEd) Western Visayas information officer Lea Belleza, parents  and students need not go to schools for the enrollment due to the continued threat posed by the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The new school year opens on Aug. 24. Schools can use radio, television and the internet so as to avoid face-to-face teaching which is still deemed risky at this time, said Briones. Belleza said face-to-face learning may be allowed in areas considered as “low-risk” for COVID-1 9 transmission but health safety measures would be strictly observed such as regular disinfection of schools, frequent hand-washing, wearing of facemask, observing physical distancing, and checking of body temperature. Belleza assured parents that in case the Inter-Agency Task Force on the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases allows the physical presence of students in schools, the schools would be disinfecting their premises first to ensure that students are safe and protected from COVID-19. * modular – printed or electronic materials would be issued for students to study; this includes worksheets, too, that students must answer and other learning materials that teachers would deem necessary for the students Parents and students may also call or text the teachers, she added. In a televised meeting of the task force on Thursday night last week, Education secretary Leonor Briones said “blended” methods would be applied to ensure the continued learning of students amid the COVID-19 crisis. The enrollment this month, she said, “will validate kon tuod gid man nga ining mga bata ma-eskwela subong nga school year.” In Western Visayas, Belleza said, DepEd-6 already started preparing for various “learning delivery modalities”. These are face-to-face learning, distance learning, blended learning, and homeschooling. “DepEd strictly maintains the ‘no collection policy’. Wala sang bayaran ang kabataan,” said Belleza.last_img read more

Slay try suspect jailed

Slay try suspect jailed

first_imgILOILO City – Charged with frustrated murder, a man was arrested in Barangay Buntatala, Jaro district. According to police investigators, Bueno committed the crime in Guimbal, Iloilo. The 46-year-old Newpoy Bueno was caught on the strength of an arrest warrant around 1 p.m. on July 1, a police report showed. The suspect was detained in the lockup cell of the Guimbal municipal police station. The court recommended a P24,000 bail bond for his temporary liberty./PNlast_img

Applications For Reserved Turkey Hunts Start Friday

Applications For Reserved Turkey Hunts Start Friday

first_imgHunters can begin submitting online applications for reserved turkey hunts to be held on certain state and federally owned properties including Muscatatuck National Willdlife Refuge, beginning Jan. 31.The application period runs through March 24 on DNR website.Hunters must possess a valid 2014 spring turkey license, or lifetime license or youth hunt/trap license to apply for any of the reserved hunts. Applicants are allowed to apply for one property, and choose from the available dates for that property.Whether a drawn hunter can bring a hunting buddy varies by property. On DNR properties, drawn hunters are not allowed to bring a buddy. At Muscatatuck, drawn hunters may bring a buddy, but only the drawn hunter can hunt.Hunt dates at Muscatatuck are: April 23-24, 25-26, 27-28, and 29-30.Other hunting properties throughout Indiana can be viewed on the DNR website.last_img read more

Local foundation launches fund in Lauren Hill’s name

Local foundation launches fund in Lauren Hill’s name

first_imgHill graduated from Lawrenceburg High School and currently plays basketball for Mount St. Joe’s.LAWRENCEBURG, Ind. —The Dearborn Community Foundation, Inc., (DCF) has established the Lauren Hill Make A Difference Fund in honor of the 19-year-old, who has inspired so many around the world while she battles inoperable brain cancer.DCF established the Lauren Hill Make A Difference Fund at $100,000, and is also making a $10,000 contribution to The Cure Starts Now Foundation, a charity Hill has helped to raise hundreds of thousands dollars to find a cure for cancer.“Like so many others in our community, across the nation and around the world, the Foundation board of directors and staff are inspired by Lauren Hill and her determination to live life and make a difference in the lives of others even in the face of terminal brain cancer,” said Fred McCarter, Executive Director of DCF.“Through this endowment fund, we hope to help Lauren inspire others to strive to make a difference in our community in perpetuity!”Hill, of Greendale, Indiana, is a 19-year-old former Lawrenceburg High School basketball player and a current freshman player at NCAA Division III Mount St. Joseph University, Cincinnati. She is also a phenomenal fundraiser for The Cure Starts Now Foundation.The Lauren Hill Make A Difference Fund will enable the current and future DCF Board and staff members to make grants in perpetuity to address the changing needs in the community, following Lauren’s fine example of philanthropy and her motto to “Never Give Up.”“I’m very happy that this will help others,” said Hill. “It’s more meaningful and fulfilling to help others than it is to help yourself. This gives me a great sense of purpose that I can make a difference like this. Paying it forward makes me so proud.”Hill’s parents, Brent and Lisa said they are thankful the Foundation is encouraging others to follow Lauren’s lead to make a difference in their community. “We’re very happy that her inspiration will keep on going,” said Brent Hill.McCarter says the fund also honors Lauren’s family. “Brent and Lisa along with Lauren’s brother, Nate and sister, Erin, are fine examples to all of us,” he said. “They’ve unselfishly shared their daughter and sister and her message with us in an effort to comfort others and to find a cure for cancer.”Anyone can contribute to the Lauren Hill Make A Difference Fund. Contributions of any amount are accepted by the Foundation. Checks written to the Dearborn Community Foundation with a note designating the contribution to the Lauren Hill Make A Difference Fund can be mailed to the Foundation office at 322 Walnut Street, Lawrenceburg, IN 47025. Please contact the DCF office at (812) 539-4115 for more information.last_img read more

Amber Dawn Malone

Amber Dawn Malone

first_imgAmber Dawn Malone, 35, of Aurora, Indiana, passed away Wednesday, November 30, 2016 in Lawrenceburg, IN.She was born February 3, 1981 in Cincinnati, Ohio, daughter of Kathy Burgess Hollin.Amber loved being with family, especially with her niece Alexis.Surviving are her mother, Kathy (Rich) Hollin, step dad, Jerry Ochs, brothers, Timmy (Angie) Ochs and Danny Ochs, nieces, Alexis Harrison Ochs, Piper and Mya Ochs as well as several aunts and uncles.Friends will be received Tuesday, December 6, 2016, 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm at the Rullman Hunger Funeral Home, Aurora, Indiana.Services will be held at the Funeral Home, at 7:00 pm with Pastor Eddie Richardson officiating.Contributions may be made to help defray funeral expenses. If unable to attend services, please call the funeral home office at (812) 926-1450 and we will notify the family of your donation with a card.Visit: www.rullmans.comlast_img read more

Jared E. Brown

Jared E. Brown

first_imgJared E. Brown, 36, of Aurora, Indiana, passed away Friday, June 2, 2017 in Cincinnati, Ohio.He was born July 10, 1980 in Lawrenceburg, IN, son of Sandra J. Brown and the late Wayne Brown Sr.Jared worked as a laborer for Hurst & Associates Construction.He was an avid sports fan. He was a South Dearborn football player, golfer and wrestler, where he went to semi state. He loved to compete and watch Jeopardy. Jared loved all animals, especially dogs. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him.Surviving are his mother, Sandra J. Brown of Aurora, IN; brothers, W. Douglas Brown, Jr. of Aurora, IN, Eric (Rhonda) Brown of Aurora, IN, Nicholas J. Brown of Bentonville, AR; aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews and many friends.He was preceded in death by his father, Wayne Brown, Sr.Friends will be received Thursday, June 8, 2017, 4:30 pm – 7:30 pm at the Rullman Hunger Funeral Home, 219 Mechanic Street, Aurora, Indiana.Services will be held at the funeral home immediately following at 7:30 pm.Contributions may be made to the American Heart Association. If unable to attend services, please call the funeral home office at (812) 926-1450 and we will notify the family of your donation with a card.Visit: www.rullmans.comlast_img read more