Tag: 夜上海论坛TS

Cheri Bustos, who leads House Democrats’ campaign arm, says she won’t seek another term as chairwoman.

Cheri Bustos, who leads House Democrats’ campaign arm, says she won’t seek another term as chairwoman.

first_imgThe outcome was a painful and embarrassing turn for Ms. Bustos, 59, who was considered a rising star in the party who was particularly adept at devising strategies for Democrats running in conservative-leaning districts.Her departure will clear the way for others competing for the campaign committee position. Already some Democrats are pitching Representative Tony Cárdenas of California for the post. Mr. Cárdenas, who represents the Los Angeles area, could potentially help the party reorient after losing significant ground to Republicans among Latino voters in Florida, Texas and some other states.Representative Sean Patrick Maloney of New York, who is expected to win his district in the heart of Hudson Valley though it has not yet been called, formally announced his candidacy for the position, according to a letter obtained by The New York Times. – Advertisement – Ms. Bustos will remain in her position in the coming weeks, as Democrats continue to battle for a dozen or so seats where vote-counting continues. But she said she would not seek any other leadership post days after Democrats from the party’s moderate and progressive wings traded blame over the losses on a caucus conference call.“Instead, I will focus my efforts legislatively to help President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris as we build back better for the people,” Ms. Bustos said. Representative Cheri Bustos of Illinois, the leader of the House Democrats’ campaign arm, told colleagues on Monday that she would not seek another term as chairwoman after she led her party to unexpected losses last week and only narrowly won her own re-election race.In a letter to colleagues, Ms. Bustos conceded she had “hoped for better results” and was “gutted at the losses we sustained” even as she noted that she had delivered on “job No. 1,” maintaining the majority.- Advertisement – Democrats had entered the election on the offensive, predicting they would grow their majority and protect all but a handful of incumbents in red-leaning districts. Instead, Democrats are on track to lose six to 10 seats and failed to capture almost every pickup opportunity.- Advertisement – “My experience will allow me to better support our vulnerable members — especially our historically diverse group of frontline members — without sacrificing our shared principles,” Mr. Maloney wrote, citing his fund-raising, professional background and the makeup of his district as part of his pitch. Ms. Bustos was still expected to convene a briefing for Democratic lawmakers on Tuesday to discuss the election results. In her letter, she said the campaign committee would conduct a review “to better understand why the national polling and modeling environment failed to materialize.”In a statement, Speaker Nancy Pelosi praised Ms. Bustos as “a leader of great integrity and inspiration” and thanked her for her service. – Advertisement –last_img read more

Man City at crossroads as Guardiola faces up to the future

Man City at crossroads as Guardiola faces up to the future

first_imgTopics : Manchester City head into the new campaign at something of a crossroads, having lost their Premier League crown and failed again in Europe under Pep Guardiola.They have the obvious task of trying to regain the upper hand over Liverpool domestically and finally unlocking the door to Champions League success after another quarter-final exit.But there is a much bigger and broader long-term challenge to be addressed as the wealthy club face some major decisions about what direction to take with the squad. Spaniard David Silva has left after a decade of delightful light-footed, advanced midfield play and club record scorer Sergio Aguero is moving into the final year of his deal and could also say goodbye to The Etihad at the end of the season.Even more significantly, Guardiola’s deal also runs out in June, 2021. City chief executive Khaldoon Al Mubarak says that situation will be resolved “naturally” but the lack of clarity means the club must decide on a real plan for the years ahead.The two signings so far in the transfer market indicate a move towards younger players for the future with 25-year-old Dutch defender Nathan Ake and 20-year-old Spanish winger Ferran Torres lowering the average age of the first team.Much is expected of home-grown midfielder Phil Foden, who is also 20 and likely to see more playing time with Silva gone.center_img The question is whether City can combine a gradual freshening up of their squad at the same time as they fight on the domestic and international front for trophies.There is certainly enough quality in the squad to secure a third title in four seasons — after they finished a massive 18 points adrift of champions Liverpool last term — with City’s attacking options looking particularly impressive.A fit-again Aguero will battle with Gabriel Jesus for the central striking role while Raheem Sterling. Riyad Mahrez, Bernardo Silva and Torres offer the wide options.Ake is likely to be joined by another center-half before the window closes as Guardiola looks to resolve a problem area given his evident lack of trust in John Stones and Nicolas Otamendi.The danger is that the longer the season progresses without Guardiola committing his future to the club, the more his contract situation will dominate the narrative around the team, with the danger that players sense the uncertainty.However long the Guardiola-era at City lasts, a matter entirely in the Catalan’s hands, this season is sure to bring plenty more exhibitions of his entertaining football philosophy. last_img read more

Mata moves closer to United switch

Mata moves closer to United switch

first_img “I can understand completely what Chelsea are doing. They could have sold him last week. “They do not make the rules, but maybe the rules should be adapted a bit more for more fairness.” None of this will concern United, who have endured such a poor campaign. Arguably their latest setback was the lowest point of all, given they found themselves outplayed at home by the team currently 19th in the Premier League, gifted Sunderland a last-minute goal that deprived them of a place in the final and then, after salvaging the situation through Javier Hernandez deep in stoppage time, conspired to convert just one of five kicks in what must go down as one of the worst penalty shoot-outs of all time. It has led to Moyes being savaged by some fans, who bombarded radio phone-ins to express their concerns. Others have been more measured in their assessment, acknowledging the squad left by Sir Alex Ferguson was flattered in the extreme by a 20th championship, achieved by a massive 11 points. It has created a situation where everyone, inside Old Trafford and out, accepts requires a major injection of morale, which former defender Gary Pallister insists Mata will provide. “He is a fantastic signing,” said Pallister, who was speaking at the National Football Museum, where he helped launch an exhibition dedicated to the 125th anniversary of the Northern League. “He has great skill, great imagination, flair and goalscoring ability. “A lot of people can’t quite understand why he has not been in Jose Mourinho’s team after being player of the year for the last two seasons. “He is the kind of player Manchester United fans want to see. He has great imagination and can get people off their seats in anticipation of the things he can do with a football. “We are delighted to get hold of him. Hopefully he can help lift Manchester United out of the spell they are going through.” As a teenager, Pallister spent 18 months in the Northern League with Billingham Town before moving on to Middlesbrough, where he caught the eye of Ferguson. He was part of the side that flirted with relegation in 1990 before eventually pulling clear of trouble and then winning the FA Cup, the start of almost a quarter of a century of unprecedented success with United. “That side was close to getting into a relegation scrap,” said Pallister, who won four Premier League titles and three FA Cups during his nine-year stint at Old Trafford. “We very nearly went into the relegation zone. “People have to remember it is very difficult to join a club the size of Manchester United. Even walking into the stadium as a supporter for the first time takes your breath away. “This is a work in progress – and everybody has to get behind the manager and staff.” Although it was widely assumed the Chelsea midfielder would head north for a medical on Thursday, Mata was forced to wait for the final details to be thrashed out between the clubs. United officials remained relaxed about the situation, giving no indication there had been any last-minute hitch that could delay the move. And, although some Manchester City fans have suggested Mata aborted his journey in the wake of United’s shattering Capital One Cup semi-final exit to Sunderland, it is widely assumed the formalities will be concluded within the next 24 hours. That would allow the 25-year-old to train with his new team-mates over the weekend, before being presented to the media next week, possibly ahead of what seems certain to be his debut against Cardiff at Old Trafford on January 28. Ineligible for the remainder of United’s Champions League campaign, Mata is tasked with trying to help his new club secure a top-four spot, having dropped six points adrift of Liverpool. Yet, whilst hopes of retaining their Premier League title have all but disappeared, United could have a significant say in who does win it. And it has not escaped Arsene Wenger’s attention that Mata will strengthen a United side that may have already faced Chelsea twice, but still have matches against Arsenal and Manchester City to play. “It opens up again questions about the dates of this transfer window,” said Wenger. “Some teams have already played twice against one opponent and some others not. “If you want to respect the fairness for everybody that should not happen. Juan Mata is expected to complete his club-record move to Manchester United on Friday. Press Associationlast_img read more

Ryder roles for Torrance and Smyth

Ryder roles for Torrance and Smyth

first_img “Sam is a man who has probably had the most influence on me in terms of playing team golf in my career. “Being my first captain in the Ryder Cup in 2002, I learned a huge amount from him and have continued to do so over the years. “Since those early days, our relationship has grown to see us become firm friends and, living not far apart, we see a lot of each other socially as well.” Torrance, who holds the record for the most European Tour appearances in history with 706, expressed his pride at being welcomed back into the Ryder Cup fold. “Everyone knows how much the Ryder Cup has meant to me over my career so I am absolutely delighted to be involved once again,” Torrance, who captained Great Britain & Ireland to victory in the Seve Trophy last year, said. “Paul was a special part of my team at The Belfry in 2002 and he knows I will do everything possible to help him and the team at Gleneagles in September.” Smyth was also delighted to be named vice-captain once again, adding: “I was thrilled when Paul contacted me and asked me to be one of his vice captains at Gleneagles – there was no hesitation for me in saying ‘yes’. “I relished the opportunity to be a vice captain at The K Club in 2006 and I look forward to playing a positive role once again in supporting Paul and the team.” Smyth was also named as a vice captain to Miguel Angel Jimenez for this month’s inaugural staging of the EurAsia Cup between Europe and Asia. McGinley had originally planned to name his vice-captains in May or June, but will now wait until after the team itself is finalised on September 2 before completing his back-room staff. “There are probably 15 guys that would be good as vice-captains,” McGinley added. “I want to see the team evolve and garner opinion from the players as they make the team. “I’m mindful of not going too far down the road. A lot of my potential vice-captains I would like to see on the team and a lot of them are going to make a good shout of making the team. “I don’t want to distract them by talking to them about vice-captaincy roles, I want them to be focused on one thing only over the summer period and that’s their golf.” The Dubliner often plays golf against Torrance at Sunningdale and has made no secret of his admiration for the Scot’s handling of the captaincy after the 12-month postponement caused by the 2001 terrorist attacks in the United States. “We won at The Belfry because of one reason, captain Sam Torrance,” McGinley said in 2012. “There’s no doubt about it and anyone on that team would tell you why.” United States captain Tom Watson has already named Andy North and Ray Floyd as his vice-captains for the biennial contest from September 26-28. McGinley said: “I am delighted to officially unveil Des and Sam as two of my vice captains for the Ryder Cup. “As well as being good friends, they are two guys that I greatly admire both personally and professionally and I know they will be vital assets to me in Scotland in September. “They were the first two people I had in mind for this role when I was appointed captain and, since then, I have talked to a lot of the experienced European players about having them as part of the team and, to a man, they have been very supportive of the idea. “Des took me under his wing when I was a young rookie on Tour and he gave me tremendous advice which was not only valuable then but has continued to ring true for me throughout my professional career. “His views and ideas about the Ryder Cup particularly have consistently proved to be spot on and I really enjoyed working with him as a vice captain in 2006 when I was a player. European captain Paul McGinley today named Sam Torrance and Des Smyth as his first two vice-captains for September’s Ryder Cup at Gleneagles. McGinley played under Torrance and holed the winning putt at The Belfry in 2002, while Smyth was a vice-captain under Ian Woosnam for the record-equalling win at the K Club in 2006. A further two vice-captains will be chosen later in the year, with McGinley waiting to see how his 12-man team is shaping up before making an announcement. Press Associationlast_img read more

Donegal Death Notices – Rest in Peace

Donegal Death Notices – Rest in Peace

first_imgDonegal death notices for today, Saturday, December 2. Niall SWEENEY (MAC SUIBHNE)The death has occurred of Niall Sweeney (MacSuibhne), Ballyfallon, Athboy and formally of Meenamara, Dungloe, Co.Donegal. Predeceased by his wife Mary and baby Conall. Sadly missed by his loving family, his daughters Libby and Mary, sons Neal and Aongus, sons in-law, daughters in-law, grandchildren, extended family and friends. Reposing at his residence from 2pm until 8pm this Sunday 3rd Dec. Removal on Monday morning to St.James’ Church, Athboy, arriving for Funeral Mass at 11 am, followed by burial in St.James’ Cemetery. (Family time on Monday morning, please). Ellen Anne MCLAUGHLINThe death has occurred of Ellen Anne McLaughlin, Bunn, Culkeeny, Malin, Donegal.Reposing in the Chapel of Rest at Carndonagh Community Hospital. Reposing today, Saturday, December 2nd, from 11am until removal at 4.30pm to St. Mary’s Church, Lagg, Malin for 5pm. Requiem Mass on Sunday, December 3rd, at 9am with burial afterwards in the adjoining cemetery.  Derek Edgar BROOKThe death has occurred at St. Heliers Hospital, London of Derek Edgar Brook, Park Hill, Carshalton Beeches, Surrey, England – and Drumavish, Crossroads, Donegal. Beloved husband of Bridie (nee Patton, formerly Ballinacor, Crossroads, Killygordon) and much loved father of Lorraine, Jeremy, Derek and Andrew. Deeply regretted and sadly missed by his wife, daughter, sons, seven grandchildren, extended family circle and friends.Remains reposing at the home of his niece and her husband, Patricia and Austin Mc Govern, Drumavish, Crossroads, Killygordon on Sunday, Dec. 3rd, from 3pm. Funeral leaving from there on Monday, Dec. 4th, at 1.30 pm for Requiem Mass in St. Patrick’s Church, Crossroads, Killygordon at 2pm. Interment afterwards in the adjoining churchyard.Donegal Death Notices – Rest in Peace was last modified: December 2nd, 2017 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:obituarieslast_img read more