Tag: 广州不准不开心网

Mata moves closer to United switch

Mata moves closer to United switch

first_img “I can understand completely what Chelsea are doing. They could have sold him last week. “They do not make the rules, but maybe the rules should be adapted a bit more for more fairness.” None of this will concern United, who have endured such a poor campaign. Arguably their latest setback was the lowest point of all, given they found themselves outplayed at home by the team currently 19th in the Premier League, gifted Sunderland a last-minute goal that deprived them of a place in the final and then, after salvaging the situation through Javier Hernandez deep in stoppage time, conspired to convert just one of five kicks in what must go down as one of the worst penalty shoot-outs of all time. It has led to Moyes being savaged by some fans, who bombarded radio phone-ins to express their concerns. Others have been more measured in their assessment, acknowledging the squad left by Sir Alex Ferguson was flattered in the extreme by a 20th championship, achieved by a massive 11 points. It has created a situation where everyone, inside Old Trafford and out, accepts requires a major injection of morale, which former defender Gary Pallister insists Mata will provide. “He is a fantastic signing,” said Pallister, who was speaking at the National Football Museum, where he helped launch an exhibition dedicated to the 125th anniversary of the Northern League. “He has great skill, great imagination, flair and goalscoring ability. “A lot of people can’t quite understand why he has not been in Jose Mourinho’s team after being player of the year for the last two seasons. “He is the kind of player Manchester United fans want to see. He has great imagination and can get people off their seats in anticipation of the things he can do with a football. “We are delighted to get hold of him. Hopefully he can help lift Manchester United out of the spell they are going through.” As a teenager, Pallister spent 18 months in the Northern League with Billingham Town before moving on to Middlesbrough, where he caught the eye of Ferguson. He was part of the side that flirted with relegation in 1990 before eventually pulling clear of trouble and then winning the FA Cup, the start of almost a quarter of a century of unprecedented success with United. “That side was close to getting into a relegation scrap,” said Pallister, who won four Premier League titles and three FA Cups during his nine-year stint at Old Trafford. “We very nearly went into the relegation zone. “People have to remember it is very difficult to join a club the size of Manchester United. Even walking into the stadium as a supporter for the first time takes your breath away. “This is a work in progress – and everybody has to get behind the manager and staff.” Although it was widely assumed the Chelsea midfielder would head north for a medical on Thursday, Mata was forced to wait for the final details to be thrashed out between the clubs. United officials remained relaxed about the situation, giving no indication there had been any last-minute hitch that could delay the move. And, although some Manchester City fans have suggested Mata aborted his journey in the wake of United’s shattering Capital One Cup semi-final exit to Sunderland, it is widely assumed the formalities will be concluded within the next 24 hours. That would allow the 25-year-old to train with his new team-mates over the weekend, before being presented to the media next week, possibly ahead of what seems certain to be his debut against Cardiff at Old Trafford on January 28. Ineligible for the remainder of United’s Champions League campaign, Mata is tasked with trying to help his new club secure a top-four spot, having dropped six points adrift of Liverpool. Yet, whilst hopes of retaining their Premier League title have all but disappeared, United could have a significant say in who does win it. And it has not escaped Arsene Wenger’s attention that Mata will strengthen a United side that may have already faced Chelsea twice, but still have matches against Arsenal and Manchester City to play. “It opens up again questions about the dates of this transfer window,” said Wenger. “Some teams have already played twice against one opponent and some others not. “If you want to respect the fairness for everybody that should not happen. Juan Mata is expected to complete his club-record move to Manchester United on Friday. Press Associationlast_img read more

GSA Girls Number 1 in Class C

GSA Girls Number 1 in Class C

first_img admin Latest Posts BLUE HILL — Both GSA teams continued to better their records this week, with the boys winning 5-0 over Deer Isle-Stonington, 4-1 over Dexter and 4-1 over Sumner.The Eagle girls downed DI-Stonington and Sumner 5-0 but fell in a close 3-2 battle with Dexter, which trails them by less than three points in the standings. In the Class C standings, the 7-1 GSA Eagle boys are ranked second, less than a point behind Madawaska, while the Sumner Tiger boys are sixth and the winless Deer Isle-Stonington Mariner boys are at the bottom.The 6-2 GSA girls are at the top of their division, with the DI-Stonington Mariners fourth and the Sumner Tigers ninth. For more sports stories, pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American. House fire in Winter Harbor – October 27, 2014 Bio Latest posts by admin (see all) Hancock County Court News Nov. 3 thorugh Dec. 11 – January 22, 2015 State budget vs. job creation – January 22, 2015 This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textlast_img read more

Other Sports Kidambi Srikanth Enters Hong Kong Open Quarterfinal, HS Prannoy Out

Other Sports Kidambi Srikanth Enters Hong Kong Open Quarterfinal, HS Prannoy Out

first_imgHong Kong: Kidambi Srikanth made the quarterfinals for the first time in seven months but it was curtains for fellow Indian HS Prannoy at the USD 400,000 Hong Kong Open on Thursday. Former world no.1 Srikanth, who slipped to the 13th spot in the latest BWF rankings this week, notched up a 21-11 15-21 21-19 win over compatriot Sourabh Verma in the men’s singles second round. Srikanth had last reached the quarterfinals at the Singapore Open in April. The Guntur shuttler, who received a first-round bye from world no.1 Kento Momota of Japan, will face Olympic champion Chen Long of China next. Earlier, H S Prannoy suffered a 12-21 19-21 loss to sixth seed Indonesian Jonatan Christie in the second round.World champion P V Sindhu will take on Thailand’s Busanan Ongbamrungphan, while Parupalli Kashyap will fight it out against second seed Chou Tien Chen of Chinese Taipei later in the day. World Champion PV Sindhu made a positive start to her campaign but Saina Nehwal and Sameer Verma were ousted from the Hong Kong Open after suffering contrasting defeats in the opening round of the USD 400,000 event in Hong Kong on Wednesday.Sixth seed Sindhu, who had faltered in the opening round in a couple of recent tournaments, took 36 minutes to see off world no 19 Kim Ga Eun of Korea 21-15 21-16 to progress to the second round. The Olympic silver medallist will face Thailand’s Busanan Ongbamrungphan next. However, eighth seed Saina, who claimed the Indonesia Masters in January this year, suffered her fifth first-round loss in the last six tournaments, going down 13-21 20-22 to China’s Cai Yan Yan for the second successive time.Also Read | PV Sindhu Progresses In Hong Kong Open After Saina Nehwal ExitsShe had lost to Cai at China Open last week. World no.16 Sameer fought for 54 minutes before going to Wang Tzu Wei of Chinese Taipei 11-21 21-13 8-21 in the opening match. It was his third successive loss in the opening round. Saina and Sameer are both scheduled to play Gwangju Korea Masters Super 300 tournament next week. World No 6 Sindhu moved to a 8-4 lead early on but Kim managed to turn the tables, holding a 11-10 advantage at the breather. The Indian then reeled off six points at 13-13 to march ahead and seal the opening game. The second game was no different as Sindhu again broke off at 5-5, grabbing seven points on the trot to move to a massive 12-5 lead. The Indian kept moving ahead and eventually shut the door comfortably on her opponent. For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Joseph, Berridge deal Volcanoes innings defeat

Joseph, Berridge deal Volcanoes innings defeat

first_imgGROS ISLET, St Lucia, (CMC) – Test pacer Alzarri Joseph struck a cavalier half-century and enterprising seamer Sheeno Berridge captured a devastating five-wicket haul as Leeward Islands crushed Windward Islands Volcanoes by an innings and 165 runs on the final day of their third round match in the Regional Four-Day Championship here Monday.In a rain-hit, day/night contest at the Darren Sammy Cricket Ground which appeared headed for a stalemate after the entire first day was lost to rain, Joseph turned the game on its head when he slammed an unbeaten 64 from 56 deliveries as Hurricanes, resuming on 234 for five, powered their way to 354 for eight declared.Armed with a first innings lead of 216 runs, Berridge then snatched five for 22 from 10 overs to send Volcanoes tumbling for 51 in their second innings – their second lowest total ever in the championship. Test off-spinner Rahkeem Cornwall supported with two for seven from six tight overs as only 20-year-old wicketkeeper/batsman Emmanuel Stewart, with 11, managed to reach double figures.The victory broke a run of two defeats for Hurricanes while Volcanoes tasted defeat for the for the first time this season.Not many envisaged the outcome at the start of the day, especially after left-hander Amir Jangoo fell to the first delivery of the evening without adding to his overnight 51 and with Hurricanes yet to add to their tally.Entered Joseph, already with a five-wicket haul in the first innings, to transform the game, belting half-dozen fours and three sixes while adding 49 for the seventh wicket with Jaison Peters who converted his overnight 39 into 57 – his second first class hundred.Peters faced 116 balls and counted four fours in just over 2-¼ hours before he was bowled by fast bowler Sherman Lewis who claimed two of the three wickets to fall to finish with three for 80.Joseph then combined with Cornwall, whose 37 came from 24 balls and contained two fours and three sixes, to post another another 58 for the eighth wicket and push the Hurricanes lead beyond the 200-run mark.Needing to simply bat out the day to save the game, Volcanoes’ second innings lasted a mere 33 overs as Berridge claimed four of the first five wickets to fall, with just 28 runs on the board.The best stand of the innings was 14 for the fifth wicket between Stewart and Montcin Hodge (9) but once Berridge bowled Stewart, the last five wickets tumbled for 15 runs.Berridge finished with match figures of nine for 61 while Joseph picked up Man-of-the-Match honours for his all-round display.last_img read more

Federer leads Europe to maiden Laver Cup title

Federer leads Europe to maiden Laver Cup title

first_imgOn Sunday, the winner of each rubber earned three points, against one on Friday and two on Saturday.Alexander Zverev then took Europe within sight of the trophy by beating Sam Querrey in straight sets, but world number one Rafael Nadal missed his chance as he lost to big-serving John Isner in straight sets.Sock and Isner beat Berdych and Cilic 7-6 (7/5), 7-6 (8/6) with Sock’s vicious forehand leading the charge on the American’s 25th birthday.In the day’s second rubber, a break in each set was all German youngster Zverev, the world number four, needed to beat 16th-ranked American Querrey 6-4, 6-4 in their first-ever encounter.Isner’s moment was yet to come as the world number 17 edged Nadal, this year’s French and US Open champion.Nadal lost his serve in game one with a double-fault before Isner’s errors helped him draw level in game ten, but Isner broke back at once and finished the set with the help of two second-serve aces in the last game.He then swept Nadal in the second-set tie-break after both held on to their serves.Skippered by Bjorn Borg, Team Europe also comprised Dominic Thiem, while Frances Tiafoe and Denis Shapovalov played for John McEnroe’s Team World earlier in the tournament.The organisers said Sunday Chicago would host the next edition of the Laver Cup at the United Center sitting 23,500 people on September 21-23, 2018. Share on: WhatsApp Prague, Czech Republic | AFP |  World number two Roger Federer handed Team Europe the maiden Laver Cup title after beating Team World’s Nick Kyrgios in a super tie-break thriller in Prague on Sunday.Federer, this year’s Australian Open and Wimbledon champion, won 4-6, 7-6 (8/6), 11/9 to give Team Europe an unbeatable 15-9 lead.But the 36-year-old Swiss legend struggled against the 20th-ranked, 22-year-old Australian and his flawless serve, losing the first set on a single break.When he finally broke Kyrgios halfway through set two, he yelled “Come on!” in relief, only to lose his serve again in the next game.But Federer capitalised on the system of the tournament he had founded — forcing Kyrgios into longer exchanges, he edged him in the second-set tie-break, then came back from 8-5 down in the decisive super tie-break.“I was ready to go. The boys played fantastic all weekend,” said Federer. “We knew it was going to be tough.”The start of their clash saw the controversial Kyrgios briefly kneel on the court in a gesture which sparked speculation that he was joining the ongoing protest against US President Donald Trump.A host of NFL players chose to kneel in games across the US on Sunday during the playing of American national anthem in a demonstration against racial inequality.Team Europe, the odds-on favourites with five of the world’s top seven players, entered Sunday with a 9-3 lead which narrowed as Jack Sock and John Isner beat Tomas Berdych and Marin Cilic in the opening doubles rubber.last_img read more

Depleted Ghana squad prepares to face Uganda

Depleted Ghana squad prepares to face Uganda

first_imgFILE PHOTO: Ghana’s forward Andre Ayew celebrates after scoring a goal during the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations group D football match between Ghana and Uganda in Port-Gentil on January 17, 2017. He is one of the stars Ghana will miss this weekend. Uganda vs Ghana Oct 7 Egypt vs Congo Oct 7  Congo vs Uganda Nov 6 Ghana vs Egypt Nov 6Nairobi, Kenya | AFP |  Ghana’s Black Stars left Kenya on Thursday for Uganda ahead of the crucial 2018 World Cup qualifier in the Ugandan capital Kampala at the weekend.The Ghanaians arrived in the Kenyan capital this week for three days of acclimatisation training missing some of their top players who are out with injuries ahead of Saturday’s Group E clash.But head coach James Kwesi Appiah is optimistic the team will rally to beat Uganda and keep alive hopes of reaching the 2018 World Cup in Russia.“Players that are in now, their confidence levels are rising slowly and for that reason I believe when they go out there, there’s not too much pressure on them,” Appiah said, adding the players will be looking to “express themselves” on the pitch.Ghana will be without five first team regulars for the weekend match, including defender Harrison Afful and captain Asamoah Gyan, who led the team in its 5-1 demolition of Congo Brazzaville in their last World Cup qualifier.Standings Group E ??EGY – 9pts??UGA – 7pts??GHA – 5pts Share on: WhatsApp ??CGO – 1The coach has been forced to bring in five new players to the squad, all set to earn their first caps. They include midfielder Kingsley Sarfo of Swedish side Malmo, defender Vincent Atings of Ghana premier league’s Hearts of Oak and striker John Atwin of Egyptian side Misr Makkasa, all of whom trained with the team for the first time in Nairobi.A win in Kampala is vital for the Black Stars — currently placed third in the group with five points from four matches — before their final qualifier against current leaders Egypt, at home in Accra on November 6.Uganda, which is in second place with seven points will be without former Kenya-based midfielder Khalid Aucho and Murushid Jjuuko who are suspended.Uganda warmed up for the game with a less than impressive performance against Madagascar, who won 2-1 at Lugogo.Interim coach Moses Basena will however welcome back ace midfielder Tony Mawejje for a their make or break tie against Ghana’s Black Stars at Mandela Stadium.last_img read more